On Choosing a Local Plate
On Choosing a Local Plate
As figurative it sounds, we totally intend to mean the food you choose in your day to day life. Instead of beating around the bush, that one thing we would like to insist in this write-up is to choose to eat locally available vegetables and fruits. “If nature had intended that you eat something, it would have provided it to you within your reach”, says Ayurveda. ”According to the climatic conditions of different geographical positions, eco system has designed various fruits and vegetables that will only suit the body type of indigenous humans”, say scientists. After contemplating alot, we decided to throw light on how our Indian kitchen seems empty and how gradually our village recipes are being forgotten. Most of the Indian kitchen has served delicious foods flavored with inherited stories, memories and emotions. Ebbing are the days wherein we sit and ask for our Grandma’s chutney recipe with delicious visualization through the way she describes.It’s been a very long time since we opened doors for Uber and Swiggy, through which came the overhauled foreign foods that claim to have all the known nutrients.If you are pondering whether you should read further or not, then know that this article will enlighten you with the basic property/stepto own a healthy life.
So, what makes us to talk about local plates or the regional foods?
1. Let us rewind our lives to the prehistoric period wherein humans from different geographical positions, who experienced different climatic conditions were searching for the right place to live in, for the right clothes to wear and for the right type of food to intake that would go well with their body. Lately, nature introduced several crops, fruits, vegetables and other naturally available eatables to them. As a part of evolution, humans started mixing the available eatables they had and came up with new delicious recipes that satiated their hungry taste buds that also additionally took care of their health, by inducing proper digestion. Temperature and seasons played and plays a major role in health. Now, unfortunately due to our so called “modernized or civilized society”, we have different types of food available in the market that are from different parts of the world; ergo, there comes difficult situations for our bowels.
2. Pesticides, antibiotics and hormones are the pillars for these death-dealing foods. Most of the times, these toxic substances latch onto the eatables and enter our mouth and fool us with the taste and benefit with good turn over for the MNCs. The known fact that is not being taken into consideration is that, these packaged foods are technically packed with loads of chemicals. Some of the added chemicals are also poisonous, says FSSAI. So, by consuming packaged foods, you are killing yourself (No one wants to be a murderer, right? Just saying).
Still not yet convinced? Here’s the other reason for you!
3. So, you really want to forget about our regional farmers and our traditional food? Umm… We don’t intend to suppress the foodista in you, but just know that the more you refuse to prefer regional foods, the more you are forgetting your roots and letting yourself to be colonized. (Uh-Oh! Colonized? Remember our struggle for freedom from British?)
Okay. But, what are the actual health benefits of consuming regional foods?
- They are wholesome and highly nutritious.
- They are locally cultivated and grown on our region’s fertile soil which makes the crops and foods, pesticides and antibiotics free.
- They promote sustainable living as smaller scale local farms act as stewards, implementing methods that support healthy ecosystems (e.g. zero or minimized pesticide use, composting, rotational growing, minimal travel from farm to market, minimal packaging of products, and creation of healthy native habitat for local wildlife).
- Regional foods adjust to environmental conditions and help in digestion.
- You show your love for our farmers and help those respectful humans to live.
- You can save your hard earned money by 65% by buying locally available eatables.
- We often prefer to take a walk to buy anything local. So, here you go! There’s a free exercise you get.
- You can remin*isce your childhood days of being fed by your grandmother on those rustic terrace under the roof of sky and stars.
What to dodge and what not to dodge:
Sugar, confectionaries, biscuits, cookies, apple, avocado, broccoli, apricot, sweet corn, celery, hazel nuts, olives, mustards, sauces, pasta, ketchups, jams, noodles, aerated beverages, syrups and vinegar are some of the food items that contain highly poisonous preservatives. Countries like Brazil, Thailand, Spain, Australia, Sri Lanka, Italy, USA, Japan, Switzerland, Russia, UK, Pakistan, Ivory Coast, Benin and Afghanistan are major exporters of food in India, refusing to deal with the fact that they use highly baleful substances to preserve foods. Regional foods in India like Rice, Wheat, Millets, Ragi, Almonds, Pistachios, Groundnuts are considered to benefit our health by providing high amount of less saturated fat, iron, zinc, Vitamin A and more calcium. Regular intake of regional foods prepared using locally cultivated vegetables, grains, rice and fruits will help in the better functioning of heart, build healthier muscles, regulate blood flow, increases immunity in regard to our climatic conditions that induces quick healing of minor wounds and resist infections and also make our teeth and bones stronger. Apart from that, our regional desserts or delicacies can be topped using seeds from cucumber, pumpkin, sunflower, etc. to make the dishes more visually appetizing and interesting. Don’t you think a platter of seriously compelling and delectable traditional wholesome food is way better than the one wrapped in plastic papers and noxious preservatives that comes with salted mayo and imported cheese? Why grab a bottle of jam when you have sustainably cultivated fresh and juicy scarlet tomatoes?
So, go. Grab your local plate!